I’ve now completed two seasons racing in the 17.5 Blinky 1:10 Electric Touring Car class at Cotswold Model Car Club and below is my 2015 championship winning setup.
Whilst the information is based around my MuchMore Fleta powered Tamiya TRF418, the basic settings should be transferable to other manufacturers cars. My best advice is don’t be afraid to experiment with setup, and to only use other people’s setups as a rough guide – concentrate on what works for your own personal car and driving style.
My TRF418 is virtually kit specification and 1358 grams ready-to-race with a standard weight body shell, Sorex XG-32RY tyres, AMB-RC transponder, 6000mAh LiPo batteries, 12 AWG ESC wires, 40mm motor cooling fan and no lightweight fastenings.
Minor modifications to increase durability and reliability are :
- Tamiya TRF Damper Ball Connectors (#42231) – Enables shock absorbers to be removed from towers for adjustment without popping off the ball connectors which increases play over time.
- Tamiya TRF ‘red’ Gear Diff O-Rings (#42259) – Black kit O-rings leak.
- Tamiya 46mm Titanium Coated Inner Suspension Shafts (#53851).
- Tamiya 2.6mm Titanium Coated Outer Suspension Shafts (#53917).
- Tamiya Ball Joint Dust Covers (#53980).
- Team Associated Flanged Serrated Nylock M4 Wheel Nuts (#91148).
- Spec-R TRF417 3.5mm Driveshaft Blades/C-Caps (#SPR008-NBD) – White kit blades are brittle.
- Motor bulkhead mounted combined battery stopper/protector and lower belt tensioner pulley comprising of a 630 Fluorine Sealed Ball Bearing (#42108), 3×0.1mm Shim (#53585), 3×1.5mm Spacer (#19804198) and 3x10mm Countersunk Screw (#19805957).
- Chassis : Tamiya TRF418
- Body : Protoform Mazda Speed 6 (std)
- ESC : Muchmore Fleta Pro
- Motor : Muchmore Fleta ZX 17.5 Type-W
- Motor Fan : Muchmore Cyclone 40mm
- Radio : Spektrum DX4R Pro
- Receiver : Spektrum SR2000
- Servo : Spektrum S6070
- PT : AMB-RC Dp
- Cells : Intellect 6000 90C 7.4v LiPo
- Tyres : Sorex 32 Yellow
- Sponsors : None